Sunday, 20 January 2008

Seasonal knitting




Hi, this is bit of an up-date of what I have been knitting (or actually mostly crocheting) and what my plans are for this year.

Spent most of my holidays crocheting various scarves, some for presents. I finished my Boteh scarf from Interweave Crochet, Spring 2007 in Handmaiden seasilk (Sangria) and sent it to my sis for her birthday.

I also made one for myself in Colinette Jitterbug (Marble). I wasn't sure how this colour would work out but I think it is great and so soft and warm.
Then I finished off the Open Diamond Scarf which is from Vogue Knitting on the Go: Crocheted Scarves II. The yarn is Holly Spring Homespun Scarlet Fleece in Poodle.

Being a new year, I have been having a bit of a think about what I am going to do with knitting and other crafting this year. I think I've gone a bit overboard with the knitting and especially the stash enhancement and in fact I've totally run out of storage space. I'm not sure why but I'm finding it very hard to stop buying yarn and I've really got far more than I will ever need. I think Ive been using yarn buying as a kind of stress release but it really causes more stress when you have to deal with the Visa bill. I also have too many magazines many of which I'll never use to make anything. So I've decided to:

1 Finish off as many of my WIPs that it is worth finishing and frog the rest.

2 Decide which yarn I will definitely use and sell off or give away the rest. This is going to be very hard because I love most of it. Some of it will be hard to even give away though! Unless someone out there really likes shiny variegated polyester ribbon!

3 Make a list of what I really want to make this year (after I finish the worthy WIPs that is) Most of my WIPs are on Ravelry.

This list might look something like this:

  • Tangled yoke cardigan- Interweave Knits, Fall 2007
  • Fifi - From French Girl
  • Cobblestone for DH - Interweave Knits, Fall 2007
  • Swallowtail shawl - Interweave Knits Fall 2006
  • Chevron scarf - Last Minute Knitted Gifts
  • Serrano - Knitty, Fall 2006
  • Plus a range of socks and scarves.
4 Go through all my magazines and decide which I want to keep. I have heaps of those English knitting magazines which don't often have patterns I like.

5 I am also not going to buy any more yarn (well I am going to try not to buy more yarn) although I have already joined a couple of yarn/sock clubs. I'm hoping that getting a monthly yarn "present" will help.

6 Limited browsing of yarn shops on the Internet - except I still hanker after some Wollmeise.

That's enough for now. I'll report back on progress.

Cheers

2 comments:

Stell said...

oh I do like the tangled yoke, maybe latter in the year? I'll be interested in how it works out and what yarn you use. - Have you caught up with the knipicks at Nancy's yet? I'm thinking of getting a few more, from there, once my latest batch arrive back via a friend from the states. I tell myself one order at a time, do tell us more about the sock clubs please?

Unknown said...

hehehe your yarn stash sounds like mine! Sometimes I think I buy yarn when I am short of time for instant gratification, if I haven't had much knitting time, then I just nip into a yarn store & buy some for a quick fix!
I haven't bothered to get it all up on Ravelry as it's too big & I can't be bothered but I am doing my best not to buy more yarn and haven't for several months....... although today I did go & buy a few balls of Colour 4 Me for the kidscan charity knitting, then I saw a new shade of Cocoon so got 2 balls of that, some lovely fawn sock yarn to have a go at cabled socks (always had that in the back of my mind) and then I saw a variegated cotton that would make great dishcloths........do you think I can be helped?!
There must be a recovery group for me "Hi my name's Libby & I'm a stashaholic, I've been clean for 3 months now..........hahaha