Friday, 18 January 2008

Time for a catch-up

Well, it's a long time since I've been on here. Hope you all had a decent holiday and some fun over the Christmas/other holiday break. Lots of picture on this one. We all went off to Victoria in Australia for Christmas and met up with lots of my relations whom I hadn't seen for about 30 years. Really great to catch up and meet all their children and children's children. Here's a photo of one of our get-togethers.

We spent about two weeks in and around Ararat which was orginally a gold-mining town but is now a centre for farming and a "gateway to the Grampians". The Grampians is a pretty spectacular range of mountains near-by. We visited them twice, one day it poured with rain and we couldn't see much of the mountains and the next time it was about 40 Celcius and we couldn't bear the heat! Here's my mum sheltering from the sun.


We also did a trip to Bendigo and explored a gold-mine and took a tram tour.

We spent a couple of nights in Portland on the south coast. It was supposed to be mostly industrial (there is an aluminium smelter there) but it was surprisingly pretty and interesting and much less over populated than some of the other south coast beach towns. Here is where we stayed.

Finished our time in Victoria by taking a trip down the Great Ocean Road which is supposed to be one of the great drives in the world. I have to agree. It was spectacular.

That's part of the 12 Apostles - I think there are only 11 now though because one fell down. And of course the obligatory koala. The photo was taken by DD of a koala in the wild. Pretty good I thought.

And although I didn't do any knitting I did do some crochet. Crochet is easier on a plane especially with a wooden crochet hook which doesn't seem to excite the security people. Here's a scarf I finished.

Made from Cherry Tree Hill Sockittome, pattern is the Cluster Stitch Fiesta Scarf from Vogue Knitting on the Go: Crocheted Scarves II.

Enough for today. I'll be back soon with more of the knitting I have been doing. If you are on Ravelry you can see some of my other projects - I am Diantee.

Cheers

2 comments:

Carol said...

I just saw your beautiful socks on Southern Summer of Socks so came and looked at your blog to see your travels. You were in my neck of the woods!!!! I live in south-west victoria. Great pics, the one of the the 12 Apostles is just perfect.

Melinda said...

Did you go to the Bendigo Woollen Mills on your travels? Great for affordable Australian yarn. Except that you are on a yarn diet...as I am...!